Sam is an associate of the firm with diverse experience in civil litigation.
Sam’s diverse practice includes aviation law, employment law, human rights law, media and defamation law, professional liability matters, insurance, health and administrative law, as well as general civil litigation. She has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, the British Columbia and Alberta courts, and various tribunals, including the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.
Dartmouth College (B.A. (Government, Asian Studies), 2007);
University of Toronto Faculty of Law (J.D., 2010)
- Attendances before all levels of court in Ontario, the British Columbia and Alberta courts, and various tribunals, including the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.
- Experienced in conducting complex research and drafting pleadings and legal arguments made before various tribunals and levels of court in many areas of law.
- Highlights of past experience include:
- Represented clients, including employers, in wrongful dismissal, constructive dismissal, and human rights matters across a range of industries, including financial services, software, freight forwarding and logistics, and foreign exchange.
- Co-counsel for engineering companies in successful motion for dismissal of a $16 million engineering negligence action for delay and costs recovery.
- Acted for and/or advised clients in professional liability and discipline matters across a range of professional disciplines, including medical, health care, real estate, accounting, and financial services.
- Advised insureds and insurers on insurance coverage issues in the context of product liability and municipal liability matters.
- Represented manufacturers, distributor, and retailers in defence of product liability claims.
- Represented municipalities in a range of liability claims.
- Represented defendants against a multi-jurisdictional investment fraud claim.
- Represented a company director and shareholder in an oppression remedy claim involving the sale of land.
- Represented a steam generator manufacturer in defending against an action regarding alleged misrepresentation of performance capacities of steam generators.
- Represented a beverage company in a claim against a former director and officer for breach of his duties.
- Represented franchisors in terminating franchise agreements.
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Dartmouth Lawyers Association
- Presentation on municipal use and regulation of drones in Canada for senior management team of a municipality, October 2018.
- “Disclosure of Cyber Security Risks”, co-presenter, The Advocates’ Society Eighth Annual Securities Symposium, September 2018.
- “Exceptional Corporate, Director, and Officer Liability under the proposed federal Cannabis Act”, published on Mondaq, June 1, 2018; Toronto Law Journal, July 2018 (co-author).
- “Pre-Trial Remedies In Blockchain and Cryptocurrency-Related Litigation: Mareva Injunctions and Anton Piller Orders”, published on Mondaq, June 1, 2018; Toronto Law Journal, June 2018 (co-author).
- Presentation on limitation periods at the Canadian Law Conference of the International Council of Shopping Centres, April 27, 2017.
- “Ethics, the Lawyer and Third Party Litigation Funding”, presented at the Commons Institute on December 8, 2016.
- “Ontario Court of Appeal recognizes right to bring a civil action for invasion of personal privacy”, Mondaq, April 5, 2012.
- “Pleadings and Process: A Discussion of Bear v. Merck Frosst Canada”, Class Action Journal, Federated Press, Volume VIII, No. 1, 2010 (co-author).